As well as our local residents, we have a significant amount of seasonal activity associated with tourism in the area.
We treated 87,445 people as emergency patients, 38,321 emergency admissions as well as 148,220 new outpatients.
We are one of the largest employers in the area with over 5,000 staff working across five sites: Furness General Hospital in Barrow, the Royal Lancaster Infirmary, Westmorland General Hospital in Kendal, Ulverston Community Health Centre, and Queen Victoria Hospital in Morecambe
Furness General Hospital and the Royal Lancaster Infirmary have a range of General Hospital services, with full Emergency Departments, Critical/Coronary Care units and Consultant led beds.
Westmorland General Hospital provides a range of General Hospital services, together with a Primary Care Assessment Service (PCAS) and GP led inpatient beds, operated by Cumbria Partnership NHS Foundation Trust.
Our patients and staff are at the heart of everything we do to create ‘A great place to be cared for; a great place to work’.
Our clinical divisions are led by clinicians, meaning doctors, nurse, midwives and allied health professionals make decisions about services close to the patient, with the support from managers – not the other way around
We understand patient needs and the importance of their wellbeing and our staff have won awards and recognition for their work.
By choosing a career with UHMBT, you will be part of a progressive team committed to diversity, excellence and achievement. Through ‘Listening into Action’ and other employee engagement activity, our staff are leading the way in developing our services in line with the NHS 5 Year Forward View.
What makes us different?
- Employee health and wellbeing (including achieving Work Life Harmony) is one of our top priorities with a number of schemes and related benefits available (including access to in house wellbeing services)
- We engage with and listen to staff through a number of channels including Listening into Action
- We are committed to developing a truly diverse workforce with active inclusion networks for staff across the Trust (including LGBT, BME, Disability staff networks)
- We have national Vanguard status for our health economy wide strategy ‘Better Care Together’
- Our staff are winning awards and receiving both local and national recognition for their work
- We have a strong association with Liverpool University for undergraduate training of medical students, as well as academic links with Lancaster University and the University of Central Lancashire.
- We provide on-site graduate and post-graduate training to medical and dental students
- We have onsite nursery facilities at our Furness General and Royal Lancaster hospital sites
We are located on the edge of the beautiful Lake District. Each of our hospitals has fantastic links to motorways and train services meaning people who work for us get both a rewarding professional life, and personal life.
For further information about the Trust, visit www.uhmb.nhs.uk.
Take a look at our Youtube channel to discover more about UHMBT