Where can I find job vacancies in the NHS in England and Wales?

All organisations delivering NHS services in England and Wales advertise their vacancies on the NHS Jobs website

Vacancies in Scotland and Northern Ireland are advertised on other websites.

Which role is right for me?

There are over 350 different career possibilities within the NHS, from Photography and Accountancy, to working clinically in roles such as Phlebotomy and Elderly Care.  Have a look at https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/explore-roles to see which might suit you best.

I already work in the health sector and need help with developing my career. Where can get this?

You should speak to your line manager and your training department. You can also contact the Health Learning and Skills Advice Line on 08000 150 850.

Will I still be able to train/work for the NHS if I have a criminal record?

It depends on the nature of the offence, and the sort of work you want to do in the NHS – for example, for roles with direct patient contact you will usually legally be required to declare all criminal offences. Any requirements like these will be stated in the job advertisement or when you apply to do a relevant university course.

Do I have to go to university to get a job in the health sector?

No. For example, around 50% of the NHS workforce has a university or other professional qualification, but there are lots of opportunities for staff without these qualifications, especially in the wider healthcare team.

You could also look at Apprenticeships as a way in to the Health Sector.  Within Cumbria and North Lancashire, there are hundreds of different Apprenticeship opportunities.  Find out more information in our Apprenticeships section.

What sort of careers could I consider in mental health?

There are many careers that you could consider in the NHS. These include occupational therapist, mental health nurse, psychiatrist, speech and language therapist, music therapist, social worker, dramatherapist, psychotherapist, art therapist, healthcare assistant, prison nurse, clinical psychologist, forensic psychologist, psychological wellbeing practitioner and high intensity therapist.

What careers are there working with children?

Many careers involve working directly with or specialising to work exclusively with children. They include newborn hearing screener, children’s nurse, paediatrician, clinical psychologist, speech and language therapist, audiologist, physiotherapist, healthcare assistant, health play specialist, nursery nurse, nursery assistant, child psychotherapist, health visitor, school nurse and social worker.

What careers are there to work with patients who have cancer?

A number of careers involve providing direct care or treatment of patients with cancer. These include radiologist, cancer nurse, nurse specialising in palliative care, oncologist, scientist in haematology, healthcare assistant, therapeutic radiographer, biomedical scientist and palliative medicine doctor. In addition to the NHS, opportunities exist with organisations such as Macmillan Cancer Relief.

Am I too old to join the Health Sector?

There is no upper age limit to join the health sector. Indeed, maturity/life experience can be an asset for many roles. If the career you are considering requires university training, then you should discuss any concerns that you might have about your suitability with the universities directly. You might consider attending some university open days or contacting the university’s admissions office before making a formal application.

You can use our coursefinder to get a list of universities approved to run courses for a number of clinical careers.

Does the NHS provide financial support to students going through university courses?

The NHS currently provides financial support to eligible students on approved pre-registration courses in nursing, midwifery, most of the allied health professions, dental hygiene, dental nursing, medicine and dentistry. The type of support varies, depending on the career and the course.

Find out more about the financial support available from the NHS in England

The Students Awards Services offers a similar scheme in Wales.Agenda for change – pay rates

How much can I earn in the NHS?

It depends on the type and level of job you are working in. Doctors, dentists and senior managers have their own pay systems, whereas all other NHS staff are paid under the Agenda for Change pay system.

Find out more about the Agenda for Change pay system

Find out more about pay for doctors

I’m trying to get work experience in the NHS, but don’t know where to start. Can you help?

Work Experience within the NHS offers an excellent opportunity to gain an insight into the wide range of Health Care professions.  Did you know that there are around 350 different careers options within the NHS!

We offer opportunities for work experience across  the region of Cumbria and North Lancashire. We offer two different types of work experience.

For participants aged 14-16years, we offer the Under 16 Work Experience Programme.  This lasts a maximum of one week.  The programme is specifically targeted at young people between the ages of 14-16 and focuses on bringing health situations to life through realistic simulated environments. The emphasis is on developing an understanding of a range of different NHS Health Care Careers.

For participants over the age of 16, we offer the 16+ Observational Work Experience.  This lasts for a maximum of one week and would be observational only.

If you are interested in either of these, please get in touch ruth.keeler@nhs.net or have a look at the Work Experience section of the site to see which placements are currently available throughout Cumbria and North Lancashire.

Can I do voluntary work?

The Voluntary work is another way of gaining experience and an insight into working in the health sector. There are also many volunteering organisations out there, including Volunteering England, Do It! and Community Service Volunteers.

What does being a registered healthcare professional mean?

Many healthcare professionals are regulated on a statutory basis. This means that to work as one of these professionals, you are legally required to be registered with the relevant regulatory body.

Many other professions have voluntary registration which means that it isn’t a legal requirement to be registered, but it is usually in the interests of the individual to do so.

Where can I find more information about the different careers in the health sector?

You can find more information about careers in the health sector by visiting the explore roles section

I am already a qualified nurse, but haven’t worked in the last few years.  How can I get back into work?

Have you thought of getting involved in the Return to Practice programme?

The amount of retraining you will need to undertake in order to return will depend upon whether you have maintained your registration. If you have been out of practice but have not allowed your registration to lapse, then you may be able to return without the need to complete a Return to Practice course. You will still need some support though to return but this can be provided locally in NHS organisations, in the form of an induction period.